The holiday season is a great opportunity to spend time together as a family and create teachable moments of giving. There are so many opportunities to give back, especially during the holidays. Below are just some ideas on how to start a holiday giving tradition in your family.
You can begin by thinking about the interests of your family and research ways to give to related organizations. There are organizations related to literacy, animals, homelessness and so much more. You may want to reference my recent post on finding a legitimate charity to support. You could also ask older kids to research their own organizations and present them to the family for a vote.
Here are a few specific suggestions for giving during the holidays:
· Frequently local social service agencies offer an opportunity to adopt a family or a child during the holidays.
· Donate toys your kids no longer use to Second Chance Toysor a local organization serving children.
· Deliver a meal to a neighbor or via Meals on Wheels.
· Donate excess diapers, clothing, or food to a local food shelf or shelter.
· Incorporate a collection drive for your favorite organization into your holiday parties or events.
Another great resource for family volunteering is Doing Good Together. I would love to hear your family giving traditions in the comments!
Stacy Pearson writes The Blogunteer, a blog dedicated to inspiring volunteerism, giving, and kindness by highlighting the many organizations already making a difference and individuals who give their time. She is a Project Manager by trade and a volunteer at heart. She has a husband and two young children. You can follow The Blogunteer on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.